Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Monday through Friday she stares at me. She hangs on my wall and she just stares. I can't figure out quite what she's trying to say. Is she asking for help? Is she hurting? Is she angry at me for still being here? Is she in need? I don't know. The caption above her head simply reads, "Because I live in a country that is hostile to Christianity and devalues women, I am beaten, tortured and treated like common property. And I am not the only one." Then, if you look closer, in not so distinct letters, there are quotes that say, "If I deliver a Bible to my friend next door, she or I could be killed." "No law exists in my country to keep my husband from beating me or my daughter." "I do not have acess to education." "I can be murdered or tortured for talking to my male neighbor." "I am not a person, only property to be sold into marriage."

Daily I watch her. I look at her and I see the strength in her eyes. Perhaps the picture isn't really one of the woman who is beaten and abused but perhaps she is. The reality is that there are thousands of women who are and I don't have to know their names to know they live in circumstances I could never imagine.

Every day I have to ask myself - what are you doing to help this woman? What are you doing to bring her freedom? What are you doing to bring her protection? What are you doing to give her self-worth and hope? What are you doing to bring her love?

The truth is, as a Christian, she probably has a stronger faith than me. So what can I offer her? Education? Counsel? Support? I don't know. All I know is that daily the challenge of her stare confronts me and daily reiterates in me the need for laborers in the field.

What will you do with her stare? What will you do with the thousands, no millions of women and children who need you, need Christ, need so much more than we could ever imagine?

For more information on the persecuted church, check out www.odusa.org. Sign up to receive their weekly prayer alerts.

Grace and Justice,
Joy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really interesting, Joy. I have thought a lot about this lately, because of where I am. Also, there's a great book that a friend loaned me - it's called "Daughters of Hope" and I don't remember the authors, but one of them is a founder of an organization called Sisters in Service, that highlights sisters all over the world, especially in hard places. The book is excellent.

You are amazing, and in my thoughts! JenMusic