Monday, February 28, 2005

Yoga - always a new age practice or when simply used for exercise simply exercise and stress relief?

Yesterday from the pulpit one of our officers denounced the use of yoga "because it is a new age practice," she said and because you empty your mind while practicing it. I'm wondering what's wrong with getting rid of the things from your day that caused you stress. I know of one incredibly strong Christian lady who has used Yoga before in a Christian context. As she was walking her students through the poses she asked them to breathe in certain scripture verses and breathe out impurities - perhaps it's mystic but our God is mysterious.

As long as I'm not adhering to another religion by doing yoga for daily exercise I think I'm in the clear. Besides that, I'm becoming quite flexible!

Tell me what you think. I probably won't stop doing yoga but I'm open to your thoughts.

Joy

5 comments:

Bottlerocket said...

That reminds of the garbage I used to hear that drum beats were used in African rituals to represent the heartbeat. Therefore, drums are evil. (Please let Marty know!) Yoga is no more an evil practice than a drum is. Unless, they are both done at the same time.

Kelly said...

Damn the man! Save the empire!

A. St. said...

anything can be taken out of context and/or blown out of proportion...yoga away, joy :)

so i go said...

if it feels good, yoga!!

Anonymous said...

For the same reason sex in marriage is good!

BECAUSE IT'S FREE AND IT FEELS GOOD.
GET YOUR YOGA ON GIRL

Blog Archive