Monday, October 02, 2006

The Jet Lag Blues

So, I woke up this morning quite abruptly at 2 a.m. What? Go back to sleep, go back to sleep, go back to sleep. Not happening. I counted backwards from 300. I got to around 150 before I got bored. The thoughts of what lie ahead of me bombarded. Then I realized I was hungry. So, I quietly slid out of bed and dug through my backpack which still hasn't been unpacked (thankfully) and found the snacks I packed for the trip which went untouched. I grabbed a pack of Cheez-Its and hung out in the bathroom for about five minutes munching. I crawled back in bed and began the routine all over again. Ugh! I'm not quite sure when I fell back asleep again but I know I saw 3:30 and possibly something closer to 4. Needless to say, today I'm done. I feel like a zombie sitting here. So, I figured I'd write more about Australia. I promised I would while I was there but time just didn't allow.

Marty and I were asked while we were there what our Highs and Lows were of the conference. So I figured to give everyone a brief overview, I could stick to that. We really received a lot of great teaching. I guess that was the highlight. We got really deep stuff. For example, Danielle spoke one night about Gideon.
Notes:
If we're really going to be the people God called us to be - free and freeing others - something has to shift.
1. True Humility
2. True Dependency
True humility is agreeing with God about who you are. Gideon's been getting his definition about who he is from different places - the world, his family, his occupation.
False humility - the I suck mentality. Who's defining you?
Peace is not the absence of conflict it is the presence of war. (someone famous said that)
We are not fighting out of insecurity. We are fighting for righteousness and justice and because we agree with God about who we are.
True dependency is agreeing with God about who HE is. Gideon creates circumstances where only God can show up (the fleece). We settle for things that we can do. We need to believe God for more and create pockets in our lives where only God can show up.
We have to start coming into agreement about what God says regarding each other.

So, that was a little taste of what we got. That was just one of the speaks. My favorite meeting simply because it was fun was Saturday morning. Steve and Danielle led us in a time of worship called Harp and Bowl. Before the meeting Steve was hopping around like a kid in a candy shop because he was so excited to do it. That morning I felt like crap - cough, tired, nauseous. I didn't know if I could make it through the meeting. Danielle and Steve start to teach about Harp and Bowl - where the reference comes from Scripturally (Revelation). They explained to us that there are angels around the throne of God who hold a harp in one hand and a bowl of incense in the other which is the intercessory prayers of the saints. They said that the angels are worshipping while praying. That's what we were going to do. So, a scripture verse came up on the screen (Ephesians 3:16 - 21) and Danielle prayed a pray for The Salvation Army based on that scripture. The entire time the worship band was playing. After Danielle finished her prayer, one of the guys from the band sang a spontaneous prayer from that scripture for The Salvation Army for 30 seconds. Then Marty went. Then Kath went and then....oh, and then, THE ENTIRE CONGREGATION WENT!!! It was really cool to hear an entire room filled with intercessory prayers for The Salvation Army that were worshipful. I loved it!

So, that's just a little bit more about the conference. If you'd like to see the DVD of the Harp and Bowl experience, just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Perhaps tomorrow I'll talk about the week after the conference during Marty and I's vacation but the highlight of the trip really was the conference. Does that make me a sad person? Nah.

True peace,
Joy

2 comments:

sixonefour said...

Now I KNOW that it was Stephen Court asking you about high's and low's...he's infamous that way.
What better way to chill in Australia than with those guys.
Look forward to seeing you soon and hearing more about life.
grace
H&D

Dawn Midgette said...

Glad you made it home safe and sound. Owen's Uncle Monkey shirt says "The big BM, 9 years in the making." You know the one. He wanted to wear it to school one day, but I talked him out of it. Didn't think his teachers would understand. I told him that shirt was only for running in, so guess what he wanted to do when he got home?