Monday, September 20, 2004

She walked him down the aisle at church yesterday. Her son - that is. He has multiple-sclerosis and it is progressing quite rapidly. They clung to each other in the only way mother and son can and both were in tears. Their aim was the altar.

She has been praying for her son's Salvation for years. Her close friends have probably been praying for him for just as long. I have only been praying for him for about a year and a half and yet the rejoicing in my soul was abundant.

That's what being a part of the kingdom is about! Seeing a prodigal son return to the Father! Watching a praying mother rejoice with her son. Watching an entire church (many of whom I did not know, many I did) surround a family as witnesses and ambassadors of God on their behalf. I have no doubt that all of the people surrounding my friends yesterday morning have at least lifted up one prayer on their behalf in the past - many on a weekly or monthly basis, many on a daily basis.

As they walked toward the altar I remembered conversations I had with her about the verse she was given upon her son's dedication, "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Yesterday, her mother's heart reaped the benefits of clinging to that verse for her son.

I don't know how strongly my friend rejoiced in God's presence yesterday, I can only imagine. But I know this, the only words I could utter were "Thank you Lord!" "Thank you Lord for showing yourself faithful. We never doubted you but we are thankful for showing your goodness to us.

He is faithful! Amen!