Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Silent Night

One more thing for today!

Church on Sunday was kind of hard for me. The deeper I go in my walk with the Lord the less satisfied I am with shallow services - enough said. However, whatever went on during the first part of the service was completely forgotten when at the end, we all stood, lit our candles and sung "Silent Night." I'm not even a fan of the carol because I can't bring myself to believe that it was anything but silent but something in that moment struck a chord in me and worship happened. Right there in the middle of a traditional Salvation Army meeting where you're supposed to raise your candle on the last two lines of every verse, I cried and raised my hand. I don't know if it was the music, or the brilliance of the candles (even though, evidently, they cause a lot of damage to the air inside the building), or the fact that my husband was leading the song and singing so beautifully. What I do know was that in that moment, the gift of Jesus Christ given to me was absolutely huge and the gift of grace was unfathomable and the only way I knew how to say thank you was to cry. That's what I like about candlelit rooms, nobody notices when the tears flow and no one asks you if you're okay after the service.

What an amazing gift! Overwhelming and astounding!

Now, even though I don't believe the words are right, I have a new favorite. Maybe I'll re-write it. I don't think it'll fit but I'd call it the "Not so Silent Night."

Joy