Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The other side of music...

So, many of you will have read Marty's most recent blog about his journey to a solo album. All of his info is listed at the link above. He's now attempting two blogs not one - go figure.

Last week Marty and I sat down with good friends who are helping Marty realize this dream. They were there for me as well. I had a lot of questions but I think most of it was a faith issue. That's what lies on the other side of music - when your life is tied to a musician's and you choose to get in the passenger's seat and take this ride with him - faith. Last Wednesday I realized that. Actually, I realized it a lot sooner and just didn't want to face that beast because it meant naming my shortcoming.

My shortcoming was never that I didn't believe in my husband or that he wasn't good enough to record a solo album. My shortcoming was never that I didn't believe that he was good enough to make it somewhere other than the world that most normal people live in - the one where the majority of people DON'T know your name. My shortcoming is that I DID believe those things and I DIDN'T and possibly still DON'T want those things. I'm scared of what they mean. I'm scared of what they could mean for the time he would spend away from me (we already spend enough time away from each other as it is). I'm scared of what this road would mean when I've been praying for one that would lead us into ministry TOGETHER! So, we talked - and I cried - and he explained.

What I know is that this is what the Lord, the Holy One of Israel, the One who created the Heavens and the Earth, is calling my husband to do right now - so I have to trust that - no matter what the future might bring. The other thing I know is that as passionate as Marty is about God and God in music that God will be glorified through this and that's all a girl can ask.

Everything else I lay into the Master's hands and ask Him to mold into His perfect and pleasing will. He will do with us what He pleases and we will always sing His praises (one of us a little bit more pleasantly than the other).

So, this, my friends is what is required on the other side of music, when you climb on board and strap yourself in, there's no turning back.

Lord, please continue to give the faith and the grace I need to walk into the future you have planned for us.

For the rest of you, may the Lord place you in a position where you have to grow.
Grace,
Joy

2 comments:

A. St. said...

I "get it". I deal with the same issues as I watch my own husband inch closer and closer to his big dream that cannot be denied! The absolute joy that fills my heart by seeing him FLY free in his passions, and yet the fear of the unknown as he keeps going...you are right, girl. It's about faith.
But you and I both know that what God starts, He finishes---and perfectly.

Standing in FAITH with you in Virginia,

anna.

Phil said...

I know it's a bit late on this post, but i just want you to know, Joy, that Sarah went through the same thing. And she turned out fine! Who knows what the future holds but the ride is worth it... In the words of Chris Martin (Coldplay),

"If you never try, you'll never know...
Just what you're worth...."