Friday, August 19, 2005

Resigning

Yes, I'm resigning. I'm resigning from a position I've held since I was 14 and for perhaps a year too long. I wrote the email on Wednesday letting the director know. I quit, I'm out, I'm gone. Thank you for the years I've been allowed to play a part but as of Labor Day I won't be here anymore. It had been coming. I had to work up the nerve really. It's quite hard to tell Dr. Holz that you're quitting the Songsters. I know - perhaps it shouldn't be that big a deal but to a man whose entire life revolves around music it is and will be. He hasn't sent an email back. I'm scared that he's just waiting around the next corner ready to pounce. He doesn't take no for an answer.

What's really sad is that to most people this shouldn't even get a blip on the screen much less an entire post. Perhaps my life isn't all that interesting right now and I can't think of anything else. However, I just think it's a shift. For far too long my only service to the church was the tiny talent I have in music - playing a horn, singing in the songsters. Now, I'm giving it all up to walk out my gifts. I'm blessed that the Lord is giving me the opportunity to use my gifts, blessed that He's given me friends who are walking this journey with me. Come Labor Day we are switching our visitation day in the apartment complex to Tuesdays and then about three weeks after that we're going to start teaching SONDay's Cool to the kids who live there on Thursdays. How cool is that? I'm giving up a career in singing to teach kids the Good News! I'm so excited about my resignation!

I would even venture to say that perhaps more should consider it.
Grace,
Joy

1 comment:

A. St. said...

That's awesome. Go and be salt, girl. Praying for your ministry...that God will use you powerfully and that those kids will see His love in your eyes.