Thursday, February 02, 2006

Sacrifice

Phil has written on a white board in his office the verse 2 Samuel 24:24: "I will not sacrifice to the Lord my God a sacrifice that costs me nothing." When I first read it I began to ponder what a sacrifice that would cost me something might look like.

This week I've been reading Leviticus. The first eight to ten chapters are God specifying to Moses exactly how the Israelites should offer their sacrifices; where the animals would be slaughtered, who would do the killing, which animals were for which sacrifices. It all seemed incredibly gory to me. I can't imagine being a priest during this time and spending my entire day covered in blood and burning animals. However, there were some things that fascinated me and made me consider my sacrifice.

In Scripture it is read as if every Israelite would just simply offer a sacrifice. It is taken for granted that they would want to do this. I was under the impression that sacrifices were just for atonement but they were also for an offering unto the Lord and for fellowship - to bless him. Maybe I'm showing my ignorance but I never received any teaching otherwise. So, Israelites were not simply required to bring a sacrifice, it was taken for granted that they would want to bring a sacrifice - above and beyond their sacrifice for atonement.

How often do I bring a sacrifice simply because I want to?

Their offerings were costly - the first, the perfect, the unblemished male of a herd. These animals were a part of their livlihood in most cases - if not, I'm sure they cost a pretty penny. They were offering what could've been used to feed a family. That brings it home for me. That's where the sacrifice really makes its understanding. Now I get sacrifice. These people were taking food off of their table, food from their children's mouths to offer it to the Lord.

Have I ever gone without to give to the Lord?

Then I wondered how often I would've been required to offer a sacrifice for my sin. Once a year would I have had to go without food? Once a month? Once a week? Daily?

Needless to say, when considering sacrifice this week I have been overwhelmed with understanding for the need of Jesus in my life and grateful beyond words for the fact that he took upon himself my sin - yearly, monthly, daily, hourly.

I am still left wondering however, what my sacrifice should be. I read somewhere that now our sacrifices our solely spiritual. I don't know that I agree. Does the Father still not ask sometimes for a fellowship sacrifice that shows up in the physical world? I don't have an answer.

Here are a few quotes I read regarding Leviticus that I thought I'd include because I think they're important.

On Leviticus 10
"The glory of God appeared not while the sacrifices were in offering but when the priests prayed, which intimates that the prayers and praises of God's spiritual priests are more pleasing to God than all burnt-offerings and sacrifices."

"God's consummation of the sacrifice signifies God entering into covenant and communion with them."

Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Phil said...

I used to think a lot about this, Joy. In preparation for a devotional I had to give once, I discovered this truth: the difference between our sacrifices and the ones given before Jesus came are that they gave in order to please God, whereas we (should) give because God is already pleased with us.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree with the "surrendered" person's comment. And to add to that, I would think that a sacrifice that pleases God today has more to do with our hearts than with anything visible. I know that there are sometimes when giving financially to a work God's called me to support can be either a pleasing sacrifice to Him, because my heart is really engaged and desirous to love Him like that, or it can just be "another thing I do." I've sacrificed lots of things at times, where I believe God was challenging me to learn the value of humbling myself and of serving someone else's needs (especially on the mission field)... but I think sometimes I can also get hung up on not sacrificing enough to Him. It's just my opinion, of course, as I don't have facts or Scriptures to back it up... but I think He is more pleased with my offerings (costly or small) when I give out of sheer awe of who He is and when I've been getting to know Him at a deeper level than when I give something that costs me much, but my heart isn't really fully engaged.

Fairy Tales and Fireflies said...

That's just it though, isn't it? I'm not going to give something that costs me much, that hurts unless my heart is fully engaged. Perhaps it's an option but I've never robbed myself to make myself look good in other people's eyes.

What is enough of a sacrifice?

I understand what he accepts. What could we possible give that could be too much?

I'm drawing a blank.

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Dental insurance pmi nursing degrees online Craps game alabama florida timeshare http://www.car-alarm-systems-2w.info credit report Dsm body kits discount meridia fog humidifier Hiking organizations pda accessory Baby clothing oshkosh sweaters and sweatshirts Anime strapon sex