Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Orange Peel!

Last night Marty and I went out with a bunch of friends to celebrate my birthday. It was a little late but I didn't mind. I got great sushi out of the deal. Near the end of the meal, Bernie tells the server that it is my birthday. To my horror, the next thing you hear is a really loud man over a microphone yelling, "Happy Birthday" along with all of the wait staff and even the kitchen staff. They sang to me in English and what I can only presume to be Japanese.

At the end of the singing - I was at this point ready to kill Bernie - our server says to me, "Our chef here at Ru Sans got something extra special for you for your birthday." He then lays a plate on the table in front of me with an orange on it. "Oh, uh, thanks?" I respond. "No, open it," he says. It's got a few cuts in it. So I begin to peel away afraid something might jump out at me or squirt me. Well, when I finally got the orange peeled, I really did have an extra special gift from the chef - a man made out of an orange peel. He was quite equipped - if you know what I mean.

Just in case you don't, here's a pic to let you know.

That made every embarrassing moment worth it.

Here's hoping your birthday is just as hilarious!

4 comments:

KIMISLOVED said...

hilarious!!! Glad you had fun.

Lorelie said...

a sushi birthday with a twist! what a great gift. so happy for you!!

A. St. said...

Happy belated birthday, dear Joy. You look great, is your hair short? I like it! I Miss you and I am excited from afar about the addition coming soon to the Mikles house. xoxoxox. anna

MDdriven said...

Joy, hate to be the doctor at the moment, but I hope that you are being safe when you eat sushi. Certain types of raw fish have high mercury levels that are dangerous and cause serious birth defects. If you eat cooked fish, that is best, but if you haven't already, look at this website to get an idea of what to avoid....
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/sushimercury.htm