Thursday, January 31, 2008

Inhibition

Children, especially babies, have all these qualities that have yet to be destroyed by the world. Of course there's innocence and purity. We get that. The one that I've been noticing lately in Justice is his lack of inhibition. He doesn't understand yet that there are actions in this world which just aren't suitable for certain occasions - like crying in church, or falling asleep for that matter. He doesn't get that it's not appropriate to yell at the table or whine.

For instance, at every meal, Justice has an incredible time. He laughs, he plays, he yells. At least once, during the course of each meal, he simply raises his hand, palm up and says, "AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" It's a yell. He hasn't just discovered something. He's simply raising his hand because he can and wants to. There's no inhibition there. He's not worried about what people will think. He's not worried about whether or not people will stare. Actually, he knows they will. He also knows (I think) that they will smile and laugh at him.

The other day I was walking in the small workout room at THQ. I was listening to a pretty great mix of music. All upbeat. All fun. At one point in one of the songs, I wanted to clap my hands and dance. Now, understand, I was the only one in the room. Just outside of that room, however, the mail person has a desk. People pass by those glass doors all the time. So, I restrained. I didn't dance. I didn't clap. I thought about singing along but thought someone might hear me. I WAS ALONE!!! If Justice had been there, he would've danced.

I can really learn a lot from the babbles of my nine month old. Next time, don't look at me funny if perhaps I am daring enough to sing along.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joy, he is getting so big and handsome. We all could learn a thing or two from little children. Hope things are going well for you. Elizabeth

Hezza said...

it's totally better to just to whatever spontaneously comes to mind. oh sure, at first people might be weirded out or you may be the topic of somebody else's conversation (did you hear what Joy was doing...?) but then after a while, you thrill people, excite them, and even open the door for their own inner spontanaity to emerge. You're like a trail-blazer baby! Go for it! You were created for this!

Anonymous said...

I consider, that you have deceived.