Monday, January 14, 2008

Another Decade Older

I'm sure 30 is supposed to be a benchmark in life. Perhaps you're supposed to have accomplished things or met some goals - something. I know people who've been depressed by 30.

I turned 30 last Tuesday. The day was marked by 2 naps and 2 meals with the Territorial Band. One of those naps was taken with my little boy and after being away from him for 10 days - that was the best present ever.

So far, I've had two parties - one at Maggiano's where we stuffed ourselves full. The second was last night. There was a surprise party at my mom and dad's house. Small gathering of good friends and good food - it was really nice. Got a few presents and had a lot of laughs.

I've been trying to come up with something profound to say that would mark turning 30 but I can't come up with anything. Be frie sent me a card that said, "20 is the new 30." So, I'm claiming it. I don't feel as old as I thought 30 was when I was 20. I don't think as old as I thought I would think when I was 20. I know that people who are 20 look at me like I'm old but I'm okay with that. I wouldn't trade 30 for 20 anyday. Turns out, I like me at this age and stage. I may not have that body anymore but I feel like fine wine. My character is deeper; my life is richer; my relationships are more lasting.

I couldn't help but think about how quickly the next 10 years will go and where I might be then. I don't normally set far off goals. I'm far too fickle for that. Besides, I might change my mind! What I did think about was my family and what we'll look like then.

It's strange to think that I'll have a 10 year old boy running around at that time. By then there will hopefully be more children and perhaps a few we've adopted. Perhaps we'll live overseas or perhaps Marty will have a recording contract. Perhaps we'll sell our house and live in a RV and travel the country. Probably not. As it turns out, I'm sort of looking forward to growing old. I do, however, fully enjoy exactly where I am at this place in my life. I'm acutely aware of how extremely and abundantly blessed I am.

The Lord has been good to me - more than good.

Happy Birthday to me!

3 comments:

Lorelie said...

Love this post and love you! Happy 30th! You are a fine wine my dear.

Anonymous said...

At first, I was amazed I survived that dreaded day.......but I like me at 30. Interesting development, huh? :)

Anonymous said...

Hope that all is well!! Glad that I found your page!! Justice is so stinking adorable!! I need a boy!!
Amanda