Monday, December 15, 2008

Musings

I had a dream last week that was quite scary but in the retelling of it, it sounds quite ridiculous and juvenile. Basically, I was kidnapped and made to play in a game that would cost my life as well as the life of my husband and son unless I won the game. I suppose that doesn't sound juvenile or ridiculous after all. The other players would win my car if they came out on top. I know, a little twisted and crazy but the truth nonetheless. I was entered into the game because it was my car - no more, no less. At the end of the dream though (as happens in dreamland) I realized that I was part of a terrorist attack because I believe in Jesus and that my prayers would be answered whether I lived or died. The dream didn't finish. I woke up before my end came or that of my husband or son.

Here's what woke me up. I realized near the end of the dream that this would never be me. I don't live a life that's so different from everyone else that I could be targeted in anti-Christian terrorism. Maybe as an American or as a woman but probably not as one who believes in Jesus.

Please understand, I don't want to be a target for terrorism. I don't want to be a target period but part of me believes that I should. I should want to live a life so different from culture, so counter cultural that I would be a target. That I would have to "carry my cross and follow" Jesus to my death.

Such morbid musings. I know. I guess I enter into places such as this intermittently throughout the year because like so many other people my age, I don't want to live a mediocre life. I don't think I do on most days but then there are days when I realize that I have not yet reached my full potential and I become saddened. What would my life look like if I did? Where would I live? What would I do? Who would I hang out with? Where would I go to church? Would I recycle? Would I make all my own clothes? Would I only buy fair trade?

Sure. I do my part but I know there's more.

What would you do if you could do anything?

Me? I think I'd live overseas to help fight hunger, homelessness and poverty. Big dreams huh?

So, go on, tell me what you'd do. Don't comment on my hopes. What are yours?

1 comment:

Lorelie said...

Every day I live to make the best of where I am.

Your post reminded me of the following by Christian D. Larson:

Promise yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb our peace of mind. Look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true. Think only of the best and expect only the best. Forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future. Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others. Live in the faith that the whole world is on your side as long as you are true to the best that is you!
--
Sure, nobody's perfect but we all can live to our best every day. Love you!!