Monday, April 06, 2009

Small Victory

With a toddler who is about to turn 2, every day is a battle. Some of them he wins but the majority of them I win with a time out or a hand pop. I know it's sad but sometimes the tears are a victory. Don't think me awful. That's just the way it works sometimes.

This morning, I had a fantastic victory. We were on the way to school/work. Justice has one of those fancy books that has the buttons on the side that play noises. This one also has a small screen at the top that when you push the button, not only does the sound play but a little picture at the top shows up and moves. For example, one of the buttons is a horse. So, when you push the horse button a beautiful nay comes out of the speaker and a horse gallops across the screen. It's pretty fantastic. Well, we were almost to school. Justice is pushing the buttons and having a good time. Then, I hear it. A tear. He has torn one of the pages out of the book. I say, "No Justice. We don't tear pages out of books!" Well, then I hear it again. This time I say in a much louder, much more unkind voice, "NO!" and I take the book away. At this point, the whining/crying commences. I don't respond. That's the price you pay for destroying your stuff.

Then, the victory. Get this. About 30 seconds later, Justice, in a sheepish voice, says from the back seat, "sorry." You heard it here first ladies and gentlemen. My son, of his own volition, offered up a sorry for one of his actions today without being prompted. WHAT!!! We must be doing something right.

1 comment:

Lorelie said...

how cute. have you been telling him to say sorry? i wonder what goes through a toddler's mind that would make him say it. wow.