Friday, September 09, 2005

"Sunset sailing on April's skies
Bloodshot Fireclouds in your eyes
I can't say what I might believe
But if God made you he's in love with me"
~Five for Fighting

I ran across this song one day driving home in the middle of a thunderstorm. When he got to that line - if God made you he's in love with me - I had a mental halt. Everything started swirling and I just thought "how true that statement is!" I know it's a love song from a guy to a girl. So what it's also about broken pieces. I just kept thinking about that line and how, if we could all just wrap our minds around it for each other how we could actually just grasp on to the way the Lord wants us to live our lives as the body of Christ - and not just the body but as followers of Jesus in a broken world.

I want that to be my motto. Not if but since. "Since God made you he's in love with me." He made us for each other. To enjoy - not judge. To love - not mock. To befriend - not alienate. To pray for and with - not despise. How often do I get that wrong. I wish I could tattoo that in my heart and on my mind. I wish that line would run through my thoughts every time I looked at someone so that my heart and mind couldn't go to the base things like types of clothes or hairstyles, the way a person speaks or eats. All those things begin to matter so much to us don't they? And yet Since God made you, he's in love with me! It's an incredible revelation to me that I have not fully grasped and certainly have not put fully into practice. But I know I want to try.

1 comment:

Phil said...

that gave me chills. good stuff, joy.

Blog Archive