Monday, September 05, 2005

Warning! Controversial Content Included!

"I'll never give to another third world country again," she said to me as I sat waiting for one of the phones to ring. I just simply nodded my head. I didn't have the time and I didn't know if it was the place to go into the discussion.

We were sitting in the room at The Salvation Army answering the calls coming in from people wanting to know how they could help and other calls from people wanting to know how they could receive help. I was and I'm still amazed at the amount of people who want to give of their time and their money and their resources. I shouldn't be though.

Anyway, she said that to me and it hasn't left my head ever since. I guess I couldn't get past the short-sightedness of the comment.

What I want everyone to know is that I understand the incredible loss we have suffered in this nation. I know that there have been probably thousands who have lost their lives and many more who have lost jobs, homes, cars, family, everything. What I haven't lost sight of though is that no matter what - this country is still better off than any third world country. At least many of those who have been displaced have shelters to where they can go. When the Tsunami hit Thailand last year I don't believe that was an option for most. What I also know is that the President has also already given $10 billion as a down payment to the recovery of this country. I don't remember what his gift was to those affected by the Tsunami but I don't think it came close.

Anyway, all I know is that third world countries will still need our help in the middle of this and after this and I hated to hear someone say that she'd never give again. Yes, I believe we should give to our fellow Americans - over and over again we should give. But please, I'm begging, let's not forget to give to those that would look at our poverty level and think they had struck it rich.

Thanks,
Joy

No comments:

Blog Archive