Friday, October 14, 2005

Isolation vs. Community

At the Catalyst Conference we watched a video about a group of families who share a house. Each family has a floor, they share a common eating space and they always share meals. These families, mind you, are not just married couples. They are married with children. They help raise each other's children and walk through life together. Sounds ideal, right?

On closer inspection, I thought, how would I feel about one of my friends disciplining my child? In essence, that's what they're allowing each other to do. How would I feel about always having someone else in my house - sharing meals, sharing living space? Who would do the dishes? Would there be rules and if so, someone, if not, everyone would break them. How often would there be fights? How often would I actually get along with my friends once I started to live with them?

One of the speakers at Catalyst (I think it was Bill Hybels but I can't be sure) said, "Young adults speak so openly about community and how you long for it but I rarely see you live it - take part in it." Ouch.

I want it. I talk about it. I desire it. But I live in isolation. I don't know my neighbors and I know that if I lived with any of my friends there would come a time when we would come close to losing our frienship.

Then I think, isn't that why we should choose community though? I can like you as long as your nice to me and as long as I show you everything that's great about me. Can I love you through your sin? Can I love you through your faults?

Marriage is a form of community - I can't choose to walk away from Marty. We're in this forever. But my friends? My neighbors? If you get on my nerves I can just walk away from you until it blows over. That's just not true friendship really. That's not true relationship. That's not true community.

It wouldn't be pretty, true community. However, I honestly believe that if the world could see a picture of community among Christians they would be drawn to Christ. They would see a love that passes from the superficial into what matters - the bone and the marrow.

I guess these are just the beginning thoughts and I haven't really come to any conclusion. I know I'm not ready to move into a house with another set of married friends. I know community looks different in different settings but what I'm tired of is talking about it and continuing to live in isolation.

Where does the rubber meet the road? Where do we begin?

3 comments:

Gideon son of Joash said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gideon son of Joash said...

Authentic Christian community. That is a community that works. If Christ isn't working in the community it won't work. In true community we discuss things before they get out of control. We keep each other accountable and work through differences. It's always a process, it's never a utopia but it is amazing. Isolation is never the way to go. We need community with warriors of Christ, always fighting and willing to fight alongside of us.~~Travis

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » »