Monday, November 14, 2005

Your Money Counts

This past weekend I was able to spend Saturday helping Kelly refloor her kitchen. I love the renovation scene. We didn't get any of the new tile laid but the demolition took it's toll on my body. Yesterday I spent the afternoon in bed. This afternoon I'm going back. I have to see it through. Besides, although it's painful, it's fun too. It's also cool to spend time like this with my friends.

This morning Marty and I finished our Crown Financial Class. For 10 weeks we've been waking up at 5 a.m. to be at work by 7 to attend this class. That's probably one of the most disciplined things I've ever done but the rewards are well worth it. We've learned much over the course of the class about budgeting, paying off debt and setting short and long term financial goals. We've started seriously depending on the Lord to take care of our finances because we were failing miserably when we did it in our own strength. We now take care of these things together instead of separately and we consult each other about purchases. We're seeking to learn to be content in our situation and I believe we'll get there as long as we keep trusting the Father. I'm not saying that we've got it all under control but I know we've come a long way in the process and we still have a long way to go but it just doesn't feel like a burden anymore. While it doesn't sound like fun, I would recommend the Crown Financial Class to anyone - married, single, old, young. It's well worth 10 weeks of your life. I would even recommend it if you feel like you've already got your financial house in order. The reminders are always helpful.

I know that's kind of a boring post for the day but I just wanted everyone to know what the Lord's been teaching Marty and I lately. He's seriously taken care of a HUGE concern for us and I'm incredibly thankful. If you struggle in this area, this class is definitely worth the time and the effort.

Here's to getting out of debt,
Joy

1 comment:

Lesley said...

no, sweetie, never boring. don't you think that budgeting is one of those perfect metaphors/object lessons for our faith? because, like faith, it's not something that clicks over in a moment and is then set for life. it has to be managed, watched; it's constant work--you can't turn your back on it lest it fall into irreparable damage. it takes a lot out of you, but the reward is a secure "retirement." (sorry if i got carried away; i'm all about some metaphors!)