Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Change

From Donald Miller's "Through Painted Deserts"

I could not have known that everybody, every person, has to leave, has to change like seasons; they have to or they die. The season remind me that I must keep changing, and I want to change because it is God's way. All my life I have been changing. I changed from a baby to a child, from soft toys to play daggers. I changed into a teenager to drive a car, into a worker to spend some money. I will change into a husband to love a woman, into a father to love a child, change houses so we are near water, and again so we are near mountains, and again so we are near friends, keep changing with my wife, getting our love so it dies and gets born again and again, like a garden, fed by four seasons, a cycle of change. Everybody has to change, or they expire. Everybody has to leave, everybody has to leave their home and come back so they can love it again for all new reasons.

I want to keep my soul fertile for the changes, so things keep getting born in me, so things keep dying when it is time for things to die. I want to keep walking away from the person I was a moment ago, because a Mind was made to figure things out, not to read the same page recurrently.


I wondered when I read that page in his book if I was fertile soil for change; if I just simply talk about change and want it but am too afraid to make it happen; or if I'd change but the chance just wasn't offering itself. I was afraid of the former and mad at the latter.

This year seems to be birthing in Marty and I's life new things. Before we were ever married we laid our lives on the line and asked the Lord to do things with us that we could never imagine. Then we kept praying and begging and pleading. It seems that now the Lord is beginning to allow those prayers to come into reality. Just now I'm thankful for the fact that He is showing us how valuable we are to Him.

3 comments:

Jason said...

I really have to get one of Donald Miller's books. Everything I hear from him blows me away. Transformation is change you know...Metamorphosis is change. Christ rising from the dead is change. And though humans fear change, it can be just as joyful as Easter morning

Phil said...

HALLELUJAH!!! Sorry. I rarely do that. But I'm so excited at the possibilities of some of my dearest friends and know that the Lord will guide them through.

Grace,
Phil

Emma Jayne said...

Wow - this really hits home for me. As someone who has seen change, lived change and HAD to change so often it makes so much sense.... I have always believed that everything happens for a reason - of course all things stem from the Lord and therefore, all reasons belong to him. Change happens for reasons and through these very clever words, we see that change is the never-ending circle of our lives. I hope I am making some sense here! Trying to write what is in my head is proving tricky (unusual for me). Change is vital! Without it, where would we all be?
I have never been a deeply religious person, but I truly feel that the Lord has BIG plans for me this year.... I believe I am about to change in many different ways. It is scary - I am trying to come to terms with my past and, at the same time, I am trying to find the good in ALL that I have done... Maybe someone can benefit from my story??? Maybe someone can CHANGE because of my message??? Here's to 2006 - and change!