Tuesday, September 04, 2007

My Boy

Two weeks ago we dedicated Justice while at Bible Conference. It was a great ceremony. We had everyone in our immediate family do something. My mom welcomed guests and lead a song, Aunt Bethany and Aunt Dawn read a letter each that Marty and I had written to Justice. "Uncle" Bernie sang a song that Marty and I had written which I think was pretty good if I do say so myself. Then both our dads performed the ceremony. We even got Uncle Matt (Dawn's husband who thinks The Salvation Army might be a cult) held a flag during the service. It was, however, the American flag. My mom had three words out of her mouth before she started to cry and the snot fest began. It really was a wonderful day.

We had a reception afterwards with a train cake! Totally cool was to celebrate. So many of our friends came and many drove around 6 hours that day just to be there. Really incredible. Here are a few pics from the blessed event.








We got home from Bible Conference and took Justice to the doctor. It was time for his 4 month well check. Turns out my boy's quite big for his age. I kind of imagine the scene that happened in the doctor's office like a boxing match:

The announcer says: "And in this corner, weighing in at 17 lbs 11 oz and 29" tall we have Justice Andrew Mikles who is the height of an 8 month old and the weight of a six month old."

I knew he was tall. I knew he weighed a lot. I knew it had to happen but I didn't expect it to be so drastic. When the doctor said to me, "So, I guess he's in 6 - 9 month clothes." I almost fell out of my chair. "Why no doctor. I've been putting 3 - 6 month clothes on him because that's how old he is." It didn't dawn on me that perhaps I should move up a size in clothes even though the ones he was wearing were getting a little bit snug. It didn't dawn on me that perhaps Justice might be a little bit more comfortable if I'd stop cramming him into those adorable overalls that cause red marks on his legs.

So, this weekend Mom and I went shopping for some 6 - 9 months clothes that Justice could wear now. He has plenty of long-sleeved items that are that size. Like any good mom, I bought those while they were on sale at the outlets. Duh! It didn't occur to me, however, that he might need a few short sleeve shirts in that size because he would need them while it was still warm outside.

We're in Target picking up various items and it occurs to me to check the weight and height on the labels to make sure that 6 - 9 month clothing was appropriate. Hmmmm....the 6 - 9 month clothing tops out at 28". So, if he grows another 1/2 an inch he's out of those as well. Yikes! I spent that day buying my 4 month old 12m clothing. Say what?!? I'm not okay with this by the way. Yes, he has some new adorable clothes but I'm not ready for this! Oh well.

Here's to...what is it everyone keeps telling me? oh yes....

HEALTHY BABIES!

Joy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily's clothes always went along with her age, still do. Caleb's...not so much. I've been buying him a size ahead of his age from birth. Didn't understand it, couldn't wrap my brain around it. My nephew is two sizes ahead of his age....must be a boy thing...
He's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Justice is going to be tall like his daddy!

Dawn Midgette said...

When I worked at the Disney Store once upon a time, We'd have grandparents come in asking what size to get their __-month-old grandbaby. We used to tell them a good rule of thumb was to take the child's age and double it for the correct size. A 3-month-old wears 6 months, a 6-month-old wears 12 months, etc. That pretty much held true for Owen up until he turned 3 years old. Imagine my surprise when, at 3 months, Jake was still wearing 3 month clothes!

Anonymous said...

avery is almost 21 months and she's been wearing 24 month clothes for a while. i keep telling myself she was almost 10 lbs at birth....so she got a good head start. the dr hasn't said anything to me about this being a bad thing so i don't worry. she is 30 lbs now....i know...but she is totally in proportion all is well.....**word to the wise...target clothes are great-great prices too-but they run small and then they shrink...so buy bigger always. at least that's how it is with the girls clothes. happy day and congratulations on the dedication! he is sooooo cute!!

Emma Jayne said...

I think he is perfect no matter how long he is! I just love the way he is all smiles and giggles when you hold him in front of you and say his name!

MDdriven said...

18months? Don't you mean 8 months? If he is that long, he has marty beat hands down

Dawn said...

I have the total opposite...my little one is ten months old and still wearing 6-9 month clothes. :)

Beautiful pictures of the dedication! Saw Justice at Bible Conference, what a cutie!