Friday, March 23, 2007

My BIGGEST Pet Peeve

Everyone hates telephone salesmen - no doubt. Discover Card salespeople are the worst. They call and ask if you're home - you tell them no. Leave it at that! But then they say, well, you're not so and so. Okay, maybe I am. Don't call me on the lie I just told you. Take the hint - I don't want to talk to you. Whatever it is you have to sell me isn't worth my time! No I don't want a bigger spending limit; no I don't want insurance for my purchases that costs me $2.99/month; No! No! No! No! No! No! I've done everything in my power to make these calls stop. I no longer have a home phone. I added our cell phone numbers to that government no call site. So far, so good.

But here's what's worse - Christian Salespeople! Please don't get me wrong. I love Jesus. I have a heart for ministry. I want people to know and love my Savior. I do! I really do! But what's worse about Christian salespeople is that they call you at work where it's unethical to screen your calls and darn IT for not giving you one of those nifty phones that tells you who's calling. Then, they launch into a lengthy discussion with you about the type of ministry you're in and how you just need their product - the Bible study that's so edgy, so hip, so eye-catching! I fell prey a few times. Thought maybe BlueFishTV really did have some quality stuff. I got the little box with all the DVDs and realized that really - I could've done a better job. Then, oh and then, they want you to pay them to return it. Please include $4.75 to cover our costs for shipping! Say what?!?

Today I get a call from BlueFish and it's a man who won't shut up. Christian salespeople don't even give you a chance in the beginning to say "Thank You, I'm not interested." Then, if you tell them you're not interested AFTER you've listened to them drone on for at least 10 minutes, they make you feel guilty and continue to push you to accept their product for your resource room or to share with other Salvationists or to just watch and return - for $4.75!

The only thing I keep thinking is, please, just send me a flyer for your conference or your materials. I'll come if I hear from someone else that it's really worth my time. If not, then I have the option just to throw it in the trash. As for your materials, get LifeWay to stock them. Then, when I need some materials, I can go there and choose whether or not to purchase.

Why is it that I always feel like they think I'm not really a Christian when I hang up the phone? Ugh!

And you thought this was going to be another diatribe about my pregnancy!

2 comments:

Lesley said...

OH MY GOSH I CAN'T BELIEVE YOUR THOUGHTLESSNESS BLUEFISH DVDS ARE SACRED AND HOLY BECAUSE THEY SAY "CHRISTIAN" RIGHT THERE ON THE BOX GEEZ WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF.

Jason said...

I had the same problem. My pet peve is with anyone wanting me to "check something out for free" but if I don't send it back to them within a certain time limit then I owe them money. I tell them I service a lot of churches. If you want your product to get a look by me then you need to GIVE it to me free of charge with no strings attached. Other wise I am not interested. Like you I used to listen to the whole sales pitch before I told them this. Now my radar has gotten to where I spot them in the first ten seconds of the call, interrupt them and share this piece of info with them. I am usually off the phone and back to work within sixty seconds.