Monday, April 09, 2007

SURPRISE!!

This past weekend was one of those weekends that absolutely exhausts you. Friday morning began early with a list of to-dos that was as long as my arm. Vacuum, clean up back yard, make baby's room a little bit nicer, go grocery shopping, get ready for Good Friday Service. You get the picture. Marty and I were having a cookout that night to say thank you to the people who helped us endlessly in the Fall with remodeling the house. They were the ones who hammered, nailed, dry-walled, sawed and did everything that neither Marty or I knew how to do. They even showed up to our house once in the fall while we were out of the country to put together cabinets. So, yeah, they deserved a nice steak and shrimp dinner. By the end of that day though, I thought I was going to pass out standing in the middle of the room I was so tired.

Then Saturday morning came and with it, another day's worth of to-do's, well, just one to-do - attend Childbirth Education Classes. So, we had McD's two mornings in a row for breakfast and headed to Piedmont Hospital for class. While I'm so grateful for the fact that we went, I have now seen way too many vaginas in my lifetime. Those videos they show you don't even warn you as to when it's coming. One scene it's a shot of her face and she's breathing - the next it's all, well, you know and I'm just not comfortable with that. I was telling someone yesterday that I'm glad we went because I think now Marty understands how important his role is. He doesn't just have to sit by and twiddle his thumbs - not that he was ever planning on that. He gets to be an active participant and be my support which I'm learning more and more will be so necessary. He learned how to try and make me relax and be more comfortable. I think it excited him too to know now how important he is in all of this. Everyone keeps asking me if I'm ready but after Saturday I might be less ready. I don't think I've quite come to grips with how all of this works nor have I realized how much hard work is still ahead. We'll get through it, I know but am I ready, am I excited? I just don't think about it to be honest.

Saturday evening came and we were supposed to have dinner at Bernie and Laura's. Thankfully I changed from the jogging pants and tank top I had on for class into something a little bit more presentable before heading over there. Then, on the way out the door Marty says, "We have to stop and get something to eat. Laura's just having snacks." I asked why we were going then. "To watch the Muppet movies," he non-chalantly replies. Ah! So, we show up at Bernie and Laura's with Taco Bell bags in our hands and there are all these people there who yell "Surprise!" I'm dumbfounded. My jaw hits the floor. I'm so confused and then I just turn and hit Marty because there's a table full of food and he just let me eat a Chalupa. Thank goodness I had changed my clothes. All these beautiful friends of mine had showed up to Laura's house to throw a shower! There was fondue and mushroom dip and cake and games and presents and just fun times hanging out. I loved it! I couldn't believe that Kelly and Laura and Emma pulled it off and that so many other people helped. That was definitely one surprise for which I had no clue - at all! Thank you everyone who came and everyone who pitched in to make it work. I don't even know what went on behind the scenes but you guys really know how to make a girl feel special. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Then Easter came and with it a new Easter outfit which itched and unless I continually pulled my pants up, made me look like Humpty Dumpty. Pants in the right place though and I was cute. Pants slipping and I looked like a little person. Ella was decked out in her beautiful Easter Dress with matching hat might I add. The Easter Bunny visited and even thought of Justice! He got beachwear - sunhat, sunglasses, sunshirt, swim diaper, everything. And I got CHOCOLATE!!! I love that Easter Bunny!

So, my weekend was full. It even included a trip to the movies last night to see Blades of Glory! What a great way to end the weekend!

Now, if only I had a few days to recover from my weekend.

Here's to three day weekends, cookouts, surprises, labor techniques and the Easter Bunny! I hope your Easter was as full and wonderful as mine!

1 comment:

Lorelie said...

I love weekends like that! Happy for you and Marty and all to come. Big love to you and the boys!!