Monday, November 29, 2004

Thanksgiving at my house!

I love the holidays - I don't care which one, they all meld together for me anyway. People complain because they can't get through Thanksgiving without seeing Christmas ornaments and music but I think they belong together. Anyway, this year, Thanksgiving was particularly special because all of my family came to my house to celebrate. 6 adults and four dogs (which were constantly being rotated in and out of the garage, the back yard, the laundry room and the house because all of them didn't get along - fun) all crammed into our small house.

Was it different from all the other years, yeah, I guess so. We celebrated on Friday instead of on Thursday because Matt had to work on Thanksgiving. We were eating at my house instead of at mom's. We ate later at night rather than a mid-afternoon meal but really, none of the differences mattered. I just loved my family being together - laughing, loving, helping, playing.

I think God gave us family so that we could understand what heaven will be like when we get there. Community, togetherness, belonging - that's what he created us to be a part of, something bigger and better than ourselves. I think it will be like the holidays - everyone's together, loving each other, playing games, helping. It's the most incredible feeling in the world.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Hey, Joy. That's a great description of the heaven, I think. And I completely agree with you that Thanksgiving and Christmas belong together. I loved spending time with my family, too.

peace...